16 ounces tiny new potatoes
8 ounces regular green beans or French green beans
2 to 3 ounces red onion ( 1/2 cup chopped)
1 tablespoon olive oil 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon salt.
1. Scrub potatoes; do not peel. Cover with water, and boil in covered pot until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Wash green beans and trim ends.
3. Chop onion.
4. In a bowl large enough to hold potatoes and green beans, whisk the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and anchovy paste. Add onion.
5. Five to seven minutes before potatoes are cooked, add the green beans. Cook until beans are tender but still crisp.
6. When the potatoes and beans are cooked, drain them. Cut the potatoes in quarters and the beans in half. Stir into dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve.
Above is Alice’s direction, but I used a different style by heating the beans and potatoes in a skillet, because the beans were blanched a day before.
I saute the onions in the oil instead of putting it in the dressing. I put plenty of pepper in as well. We like it very peppery.
Add the potatoes and beans and the dressing and heat to warm.
Yield: 2 servings.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 370 calories, 8 grams fat, 2 milligrams cholesterol, 310 milligrams sodium, 8 grams protein, 70 grams carbohydrate.